Friday, November 29, 2013

JOURNAL #6: Self-reflection: Reflect on learning from first 5 weeks

The first five weeks of this class had extreme highs and lows. After the first week, I thought I'd never make it through this class. I know nothing about social media and have had no accounts of any form. I do not have a facebook account or any of the others and did not have a twitter account until required by this class (I did open one but have not yet used it). I also have never blogged and didn't understand how to do that. While you helped me set up my first blog, I didn't know how to add to it. Finally I figured out how to add a "post" last weekend and found that I had entered Journal #3 as a comment to Journal #1. I did fix that and am now able to continue adding my other Journals.

Since I was struggling with setting up my local/remote websites every week, I was usually behind when you were going through the lab exercises. On some of the labs you just can't catch up if you get too far behind (like the Photoshop lab). I'd say the Photoshop lab was the hardest because I was still soooo behind in class. You have since shown me how to finish it and I understood a lot more, but I'm not sure I could do that entire lab on my own yet unless I study the Photoshop instructions more thoroughly. I'm even struggling with this entry. I don't understand what happens when you click the "Compose" choice above because I can't enter anything when that button is selected. I did find the options so that I could enter line breaks with an "enter". Is this suppose to be written in html?

Moving on, once I understood that I had to set up my local account every week (primarily because I was using Windows), I was able to be ready before you started the lab exercises and after that I was able to follow you for the entire lab. This was wonderful. Additionally, (on the "high" part of the class), after the first week when we started to get into html and css, this material was so much easier to understand. I use to program with Fortran in the ancient-of-days and html seems so easy to use. I was very happy to get to this material. Designing the overall structure of the website is of course the more challenging part of the process, but I even enjoy the troubleshooting. I think I'm really going to enjoy designing websites and am excited about my final project.

My most rewarding exercise so far has been the book exercise where we put in links between recipes, Jen's Kitchen homepage, and external links. I do understand how to set up different links and I understand the "../" nomenclature. It was fun to be able to go from one page to the other and then out to the web and back. I know this was a simple task but it was the first one I could successfully complete all on my own.

Well, I'm not sure how you want me to demonstrate my fundamental understanding of html & css, but here's my attempt... I do understand that html is the basic structure of the website. HTML has been set up to create a logical structure for the design of the website, organizing the code into logical functions. There are basic elements required in a project such as the head section with it's required title tag, the body, and the Doctype with "html" defining the version of code that is being used. There are block versus inline elements where block elements can affect more than one line and elements are separated with space. Inline elements affect just one line. There are "attributes" that help define the elements. The generic block element is the "div" with the generic line element tag being "span". They can both have singular "ids", or can be defined for multiple elements with the "class" identifier. Then there are many tags to define and control the structure of the website.
CSS is the way that the presentation of the website is controlled. It controls the colors, spacing (padding, margin, borders, etc), fonts, etc. CSS can use the structured HTML design to easily modify the presentation of different elements with minimal controls.

Anyway, here is my most difficult project so far:
Photoshop PNG

And here was the one I enjoyed the most so far:
Chapter_6_ex_2-7.html

No comments:

Post a Comment